PIDAPIPO, CARLTON: Now apart from the fact that we both love food, what we love even more is probably ICECREAM!! (yes that is also considered food but no technicalities pls) Gelato is served at all corners and cones (geddit) in Melbourne and so of course we had to try a couple of the best.
First stop: Pidapipo on Lygon Street in Carlton. Situated along the busy, eventful street of Italian delights, Pidapipo is rarely found without a line, extending for up to a 20 minute-ish wait time especially at time when those hunger cravings hit. The gelato flavours up for choice are quite different to Messina, with a selection of OG always available, and rotational seasonal flavours. Being the icecream junkie that I am, I have tried pretty much all the flavours there in very substantial quantities (lol): Hazelnut, Pistachio, Bacio (aka chocolate hazelnut), Nutella Swirl, Peanut Butter, Salted Caramel, Watermelon sorbet, and Fior di Latte (aka vanilla).
- Hazelnut: super nutty, a chocolatey nutty taste with chunks of hazelnut inside
- Pistachio: MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE THIS PISTACHIO ICECREAM gets me excited like no other dessert. The pistachio is super nutty and tasty, almost as if pistachio nuts were ground into powder and blended smoothly with the gelato.
- Bacio: pretty similar to hazelnut but more chocolate
- Nutella swirl: there are small chocolate/nutella chunks inside vanilla and comes with a free swirl of the melted nutella from the famous nutella tap!
- Peanut butter: apart from icecream and cheesecake, my other personal love would have to be peanut butter! The peanut butter icecream here is simply decadent, the peanut butter taste is strong but not overpowering
- Salted caramel: another classic blend with great balance of savoury and sweetness but probably slightly too sweet for my liking (I prefer subtle, nutty gelato flavours)
- Watermelon sorbet: YUM so we rarely get sorbet at gelato places but the watermelon sorbet here is DELISH. The watermelon flavours are really strong, sweet and refreshing – you can really tell that they use large amounts of fresh watermelon pieces to make this. The sorbet is also more watermelon-y than ice which is always a plus!
- Fior di Latte: classic vanilla for plain Joes out there, quite simple and creamy
Pidapipo offers creamy, smooth gelato guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth or dessert cravings at an affordable price 🙂
BUT our gelato journey does not end here, check out part 2 of this post where we review Gelato Messina – Gelato Joy pt. 2